ANCRUM is situated about 4 miles north of Jedburgh, just off the A68. The village has a population of about 600, and supports a primary school, a sub-post-office, a pub, a bowling club … and of course the church!
The present red sandstone building was completed in 1890 and was extensively refurbished in 2007, when the heating system was replaced, the sound system upgraded, access for people with disabilities improved, a small hall and kitchen constructed, the majority of the pews removed and replaced by comfortable individual seats … and a centre aisle provided, to the delight of potential brides!
The remains of the previous church are still to be seen in the churchyard, about half a mile west of the present building, and signposted off the B6400 road to Lilliesleaf.
For satnav use : Ancrum Kirk postcode TD8 6UY.